Re: IE 6.0 cannot handle Japanese yet

From: MURATA Makoto <EB2M-MRT@asahi-net.or.jp>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:28:22 -0400 (EDT)
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> Since the document is said to be text/xml without charset parameter,
> conforming processors issue a fatal error for your test case, since they
> must assume us-ascii as character encoding and the BOM is not
> expressable in us-ascii.

Right.  Yesterday, I configured text/xml;charset=utf-16, and then
tested text/xml without the charset paramter.  It is now back to the
original correct header.

bash-2.05$ java showCharset http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~eb2m-mrt/jisho.css
Opening connection to http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~eb2m-mrt/jisho.xml...
Content type: text/xml; charset=utf-16

Unfortunately, my ISP does not allow me to specify the charset paramter
for CSS.  I will speak with them.

Cheers,

Makoto (a co-author of RFC 3023)