Re: How is it possible to devise such a feeble system?

From: Jesse McCarthy <mccarthy36@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:29:13 -0400
To: "'www-style@w3.org'" <www-style@w3.org>
Nolan Clark <nolanc@ischool.washington.edu> wrote on 10/24/01 7:19:08 PM:

>Granted, CSS2 lacks a simple method to vertically center content, but the
>horizontal centering works very well. It does not make sense to add
>centering support to CSS, because that functionality is already built into
>the horizontal part of the box model. The most logical thing to do would be
>to extend the box model so vertical formatting worked exactly like
>horizontal formatting.
>
>Then you could easily center content both horizontally and vertically like
>this:

>This would be a very minor extension to CSS2, but it could be very difficult
>to actually implement in a browser (something I have no experience with).

I'm loathe to say the horizontal formatting works very well.  I need to use it
more before I'll make a decision about it's effectiveness.  Nonetheless, the
situation I am talking about is centering, horizontally and vertically, a block-
level non-replaced element without explicit width or height defined, in which
case margin will not help.