Re: How is it possible to devise such a feeble system?

From: Jesse McCarthy <mccarthy36@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:39:32 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
Vadim Plessky <plessky@cnt.ru> wrote on 10/24/01 11:13:57 PM:
>ok, for inline-block check this example
>http://htmltests.newmail.ru/display-inline_block.html
>screenshot (MS IE6)
>http://htmltests.newmail.ru/display-inline_block-MSIE6.png

I get 404 errors on those URLs.  I don't have either of the browsers you
mention, so I could only make use of a screen shot (though I'm not certain I
have anything that will display the PNG).

>|   I think what you were talking about, and this is just a guess really, is
>| having more than one block-level element on the same horizontal "line".  If
>| that's the case, why don't you float those blocks to the left?
>
>but I need those blocks *in place*, not floated.

You'll have to excuse my denseness, but I'm not sure what you mean by "*in
place*". ?

>You can align blocks (vertically/horizontally), incl. (?) 'inline-block'.
>You can't align LineText vertically, by definition. (only option I see is to
>use Padding, but you need to find a way to inherit container's block
>width/height values)

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by "LineText".

>What I proposed to consider is adding possibility to have block elements
>inline, not breaking line.

Well, I'm not going to argue with you.  Honestly, I do not comprehend the
situation you are describing or the particular problem you are having, and I
don't know what the advantages and ramifications of what you're proposing would
be.