RE: How is it possible to devise such a feeble system?

Looking at your example, I would think that the correct way to do it
would be to add this to your whole1 style:

text-align: center;
vertical-align: middle;

If whole1 has 100% width and 100% height, then you want to center
horizontally and vertically the item(s) in whole1.  You should be able
to do this with the styles above.  Of course, it doesn't work.  The
text-align seems to work, but the vertical-align is still top aligned.

This raises a new question.  Wouldn't "text-align" be more appropriately
called "horizontal-align"?  I mean, you might have non-text items within
the element that you are applying the alignment to.

And another question... why does text-align use "center" to mean the
center, and vertical-align uses "middle" to mean the center.  Could it
be that at some point there may be a single "align" attribute that will
take both text-align and vertical-align values?  For example, instead of
this:
text-align: left;
vertical-align: middle;

you could write this: