RE: How is it possible to devise such a feeble system?

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Peter Foti (PeterF) wrote:

>Looking at your example, I would think that the correct way to do it
>would be to add this to your whole1 style:
>
>text-align: center;
>vertical-align: middle;

Of course. I wasn't talking about horizontal alignment, at all. Besides,
the approach is borrowed from who-knows-where, in its entirety.

>Of course, it doesn't work. The text-align seems to work, but the
>vertical-align is still top aligned.

Yep. Most browsers get it wrong. Maybe even all of them. Don't you just
hate incomplete implementations.

>This raises a new question.  Wouldn't "text-align" be more appropriately
>called "horizontal-align"?  I mean, you might have non-text items within
>the element that you are applying the alignment to.

Nope. If you want to center the inner div horizontally, you would use
explicit width and auto margins.

Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:decoy@iki.fi, tel:+358-50-5756111