Re: Proposal: list-item-color

--- Daniel Glazman <glazman@netscape.com> wrote:

> Tantek Celik wrote:
>
> >>('Display: marker' is not supported by any browser
> so far, I believe.)
> >>

> >Nor should it be, in our opinion.
> >
> >The ':before {display:marker}' method (IMHO - hack)
> for doing list markers
> >is seriously problematic both for implementers and
> for authors.
> >
> >It is poorly designed, and would have never exited
> "CR" had there been a CR
> >period when CSS2 went to last call.
> >
> >I believe that much better solutions are both
> desired and possible, and, as
> >co-editor of the CSS3 List Module, I invite
> proposals (such as
> >'list-style-color') from the community to arrive at
> a better solution.
> >
> >Frankly, the CSS1 list properties were both much
> easier to implement, and to
> >understand from an authoring perspective.  CSS2's
> list model went a bit off
> >the theoretical deep end as it were.
> >
> I definitely agree with that.
>
> Some other properties could be applied (background
> for instance, text
> and font styles) to the list item marker and using a
> list-* naming is
> probably not the best thing to do; in fact, it still
> shows that the best
> option is a pseudo-element. We could end up with a
> pseudo-element
> ::list-marker not accepting the content property but
> only 'stylistic'
> properties. Comments ?
>
> </Daniel>
> --
> Daniel Glazman, Netscape Communications Corp.

FWIW, I think that a pseudo-element for list markers
is a good idea.

Of course, then I can see the scrollbar fans argue
that any element with overflow:scroll should have a
scrollbar pseudo-element which also only accepts
'stylistic' properties.  And html forms fans could
argue that input type="file" could have
pseudo-elements to describe separate styling of
textbox and button regions.

-Dylan Schiemann
http://www.sitepen.com/
http://www.dylanschiemann.com/