Interaction with invisible elements

From: Eric A. Meyer <eric@meyerweb.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 18:04:15 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
    I was wondering something today.  Suppose I want to hide an Easter
Egg in my Web page (idle thought at lunch).  I thought about doing it
like this:

    a.easter-egg {visibility: hidden;}

However, upon trying this I discovered that browsers which make the
element invisible also prevent me from selecting the link.  In other
words, the element ceased to be available for interaction, at least
with my mouse.
    Should this be the case?  I think not, but I've certainly been
wrong about CSS before.  If it should, then if we adopt Mozilla's
'opacity' into CSS3, will an element be available for interaction
only so long as its opacity is a nonzero value?

--
Eric A. Meyer (eric@meyerweb.com)   http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/
Author, "CSS: The Definitive Guide" http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/css/