Re: Interaction with invisible elements

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 22:50:15 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
To: "Eric A. Meyer" <eric@meyerweb.com>
cc: <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Eric A. Meyer wrote:

> I was wondering something today.  Suppose I want to hide an Easter
> Egg in my Web page (idle thought at lunch).  I thought about doing it
> like this:
>
>     a.easter-egg {visibility: hidden;}
>
> However, upon trying this I discovered that browsers which make the
> element invisible also prevent me from selecting the link.  In other
> words, the element ceased to be available for interaction, at least
> with my mouse.
>     Should this be the case?

Mozilla treats elements that are 'visibility: hidden' as if they were not
available for user interaction because it is very bad UI to have invisible
elements react to the user. We decided that good UI was overall a better
aim than the few edge cases. ;-)

Authors of other UAs probably did the same.

--
Ian Hickson                                     )\     _. - ._.)       fL
Netscape, Standards Compliance QA              /. `- '  (  `--'