RE: Stretchy backgrounds? (background-width,height properties)

From: Manos Batsis <m.batsis@bsnet.gr>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:36:08 +0300
To: "Chris Lilley" <chris@w3.org>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

Um... just some comments about what I have gotten used to thus far in IE
using the proprietary filter.

So far, I was doing that using two nested DIVs. The div with the
background is the inner div, with lower z-index and alpha to appear
behind the foreground text (or whatever). Not very efficient.

> Yes. But the resence of the group opacity prperty 'opacity' does not
> preclude being able to set, for example, border opacity using
> a separate
> property.

The ability to have styling on element attributes like borders and
background will really help accomplish one of the major goals of css,
separation of content & presentation. I hope we will see something in
the specs in the near future.
In a way, this has been done from the beginning. For example,
border-width is under the border domain attribute.

> For examples, see the SVG spec whichhas the group opacity property
> 'opacity' but also has fill opacity, stroke opacity, opacity
> on stops on
> a gradient, and so forth.

While filters (besides being proprietary) give the effect on the element
as a whole, including children. In other words, filter styles document
fragments...

Kindest regards,

Manos