Re: I would love...

On 16 Oct 2000, Matthew Brealey wrote:

> The CSS3 UI proposal doesn't cater for modern user interfaces.

True. We need something like the 'Window' colour type and the 'Dialog'
border type but for backgrounds.

> Skinnable UIs, such as that of KDE (http://www.kde.org) require effects
> more advanced than those that CSS can currently produce. For instance,
> graphical window decorations are need to do UI borders, but CSS doesn't
> support support anything but plain styles.

Check CSS3 proposals again.

> Similarly fade effects: although I wouldn't necessarily expect CSS UAs
> to be required to support all the filters (more in KDE2) and fades that
> KDE does, at the least CSS3 should include horizontal and vertical two-
> colour fades (some versions of Windows use these as their title bars,
> for example).

This is what SVG should do.

> In addition, background stretching is vital [this was proposed about a
> year ago] - most people stretch their background images to fit their
> desktop.

I have frequently proposed 'background-size', which has not met with any
disagreement as far as I can remember.

Note that most complex composite looks, such as multiple backgrounds, can
be achieved using XSLT to give the stylesheet more elements to style,
although David Baron and I have proposed ::inside and ::outside to make
this easier (see archives).

--
Ian Hickson                                     )\     _. - ._.)       fL
Netscape, Standards Compliance QA              /. `- '  (  `--'