Re: I would love...

You wrote:

> Andy <lordpixel@mac.com> wrote
>
> > I'd like this stuff so I could do edge effects in
> > css by doing something like
> >

> > .edge {
> > 	background-image: url("edge.png");
> > 	background-repeat: repeat-left repeat-up;
> > 	background-position: bottom right;
> > }
> >

> > Is there any way to place a background image at each of the
> 4 corners of
> > an element at the moment... or more to the point, support
> for more than one
> > background image positioned within a single element.
> >
> > Seems we're missing a class of fairly common effects if not.
>
> How about treating the problem directly.  Something like:
>
> .edge
> {
>     border-image: url("edge.png");
>     border-repeat: repeat-x repeat-y;
>     border-corner: url("topleft.png") url("topright.png")
> url("bottomleft.png") url("bottomright.png");
> }

Good idea. Actually I was going to post this, and more, a couple of
weeks back. Unfortunately the fact that I am fundamentally lazy meant I
never bothered to finish the message.

Anyway:

The CSS3 UI proposal doesn't cater for modern user interfaces.
Skinnable UIs, such as that of KDE (http://www.kde.org) require effects
more advanced than those that CSS can currently produce. For instance,
graphical window decorations are need to do UI borders, but CSS doesn't
support support anything but plain styles.

Similarly fade effects: although I wouldn't necessarily expect CSS UAs
to be required to support all the filters (more in KDE2) and fades that
KDE does, at the least CSS3 should include horizontal and vertical two-
colour fades (some versions of Windows use these as their title bars,
for example). In addition, background stretching is vital [this was
proposed about a year ago] - most people stretch their background images
to fit their desktop.