Re: Default XSL stylesheet for XHTML documents

From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 15:18:30 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
At 12:43 PM 10/2/00 +0000, Matthew Brealey wrote:
>One spec good, two specs bad. XSL-FO takes CSS warts and all: when I was
reading
>through it I noticed it had adopted quite a few errors from CSS - it really
>doesn\'t make sense to have one spec mirroring the other; errors and
differences
>will creep in and be a nightmare to maintain.

I asked a long while ago about the prospect of creating a 'formatting
properties' document that included properties for both CSS and XSL, which
they could then implement using their different approaches.  CSS could use
selectors and annotation, while XSL could rely on XSLT transformation.

That didn't seem to go over too well, though I never quite figured out why.

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML