parent selectors

From: Dylan Schiemann <dylans@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:18:17 -0800 (PST)
To: www-style@w3.org
Has there been any thought given to adding parent
selectors?  What I mean by the term parent selector
would be to style a parent based on it matching a
pattern for its child elements.

I've noticed the :contains("foo") pseudo-class, but
not an equivalent for elements such as span < div
{width:100%;} where the div would receive a width of
100% only if it contained a span as opposed to the
existing div > span {font-weight:900;} which applies a
style to the span.

Is this something that would have too much rendering
overhead to consider?  I see it being useful for
defining alternative styles for elements in a document
based on their content.  For example, a table
containing three or more tr elements could have one
style, while a table with less than that would have
another.

-Dylan Schiemann