Scale

From: Tim Bannister <isoma@compsoc.man.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 01:57:45 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-style@w3.org
SVG allows authors to set a size (in physical units) for the graphic.
As far as I can tell it isn't possible to do this in CSS, but I would
suggest that this be included.

I don't thinmk that "width" and "height" would be appropriate for this
use.  The information would be merely a suggestion to the UA, which ties
in well (in my opinion) with the goals of CSS.

Here are some examples of how this can be used:

 An <object> element might be a representation of a real work of art; for
example, a JPEG format picture of an Escher print.  That Escher print
would have a real, physical size; user agents would be able to display
scale information.

 Alternatively, a web page might have a graphic of a product.  It would
be nice to have this shown at actual size where possible.  I can see this
being of use, for example, to component manufacturers.  If it's not
possible to show this at actual size, the user agent would be able to at
least display the scale.

And thirdly, a map in SVG format could have its scale set the same way.
Clearly it wouldn't make sense to have the UA try to display it at 1:1
scale but at least it would be possible to make this information
available to the user.

--
Tim Bannister - isoma@compsoc.man.ac.uk
   "Hay que economizar, cueste lo que cueste."