Re: Scale

From: <JOrendorff@ixl.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 14:12:57 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
> >> As far as I can tell it isn't possible to do this in CSS,
> but I would
> >> suggest that this be included.
> >
> >width: 4in; height: 19cm
> >
> >Seems to do the trick, using CSS2 properties, or am I missing some
> >subtlety?
>
> Well, I wouldn't want to use the same technique to set the width and
> height for a map of Ireland.  This is because the physical size of
> Ireland is nothing like the size I'd suggest for a map of Ireland.  In
> fact, I'd hope to avoid suggesting any size and letting the
> UA decide for
> itself, probably based on the size of the browser window.

This isn't a job for stylesheets.

Instead, the image file (or applet or whatever) should contain some
information about itself.  ("This image is a map of Ireland, and the scale
is about x km per pixel...")  Or perhaps we could put this
information in a separate file, an image metadata file, using RDF.

Anyway, what you're talking about is content, not presentation.

--
Jason Orendorff
(it is refreshing to see this rather than the opposite, though)