RE: :first-line errors

From: <JOrendorff@ixl.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 14:57:54 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
[Matthew Brealey argues that 'vertical-align' can't affect :first-line]
> <P>
> <:first-line style="vertical-align: super">
> <SPAN>
> Some text in the first line.
> </SPAN>
> </:first-line>
>
> Now if that is supposed to superscript the SPAN, then it is
> necessary to
> imply some kind of inheritance of non-inheritable properties,
> and I know
> *that* isn't in the spec.

It will work, whether the :first-line selects a line box or
something else.  The 'vertical-align' property is not inherited,
so 'vertical-align' for the <SPAN> is 'baseline'.  So the text
in the <SPAN> will be aligned on the baseline established by the
<:first-line> pseudo-element, which is superscripted.

Even though it is not inherited, 'vertical-align: sup' affects
child elements.  Compare 'text-decoration: underline'.

Personally, I think :first-line needs work.  Exceptions are
bad.  More to follow.

--
Jason Orendorff