Re: Visual effects

Matthew Brealey writes:
> The outline is drawn starting just outside the border edge.
>
> ... [I]f the element is broken across several lines, the outline is the
> minimum outline that encloses all the element's boxes.
>
> These two statements are contradictory. Outlines are drawn outside the
> border edge, but borders are associated with em squares, not boxes.

There is unfortunately a mix-up of different meanings of "box" for
inline elements that we will try to clear up in CSS3. The intention of
the above quote is simply that the polygon that represents the outline
should never intersect itself.

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA