Re: UI WD

Tantek Celik wrote:

> >> Interesting.
> >
> > Really?
> >
> > But I do think so. Why? Two reasons:
> >
> > creating controls from a primitive element inevitably means that people
> > will be forced to use things that aren't platform-familiar, which is
> > *bad* *bad* *bad*. One would not dream of hand-coding system controls
> > when creating an application, and to suggest that a web page or (horror
> > of horrors) a 'web application' should do so is bizarre.
>
> Let me see if I can summarize this issue.
>
>   The issue is the need to set a symbolic value on a set of property instead
> of just one property to achieve a "platform-familiar" user interface
> element.
>
> Is that correct?

Yup. And also that this might be an approach *instead* of the current
one.

> > there are quite a few issues that don't seem to be satisfactorily
> > resolved.
> >
> > See http://www.iarchitect.com/mshame.htm for more UI issues.
>
> I agree that that site documents a lot of good UI issues, but I'm not sure
> which in particular apply to the CSS3 UI draft.

No. I meant to cite it in respect of the checkbox issue in another post
(there is a page on this issue there), but forgot after resetting my
machine.

Please visit http://RichInStyle.com. Featuring:
MySite: customizable styles.         AlwaysWork style
Browser bug table covering all CSS2 with links to descriptions.
Lists of > 1000 browser bugs         Websafe Colorizer
CSS2, CSS1 and HTML4 tutorials.      CSS masterclass
CSS2 test suite: 5000++ tests and 300+ test pages.