Re: UI WD

From: Matthew Brealey <webmaster@richinstyle.com>
Date: Wed, Aug 16, 2000, 4:45 AM

> True. But these subtleties aren't really highlighted in the current
> draft. Elucidating examples for each would be nice.

This is general feedback that has been given in this thread, and one I have
noted as an issue.  I will try to have more illustrative examples in the
next draft.

>> > Incidentally, the changes I propose are entirely compatible with current
>> > implementations; AFAICT, only user-select: none is currently being used.
>>
>> Interesting.  I wasn't even aware of any current implementations.  Which
>> implementation are you referring to?
>
> That of Mozilla:
>
> http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/layout/base/public/nsStyleConsts.h#80
>
> (note that inclusion here is not conclusive evidence of support; see the
> rest of the source if you're interested.)

Unfortunately, I am not permitted to view that source, so I will take your
word for it.

>> > * I am starting to err on the side of automatic menu generation to cope
>> > with the issues (e.g., different ways of doing menus, system-specific
>> > menus; keyboard selection issues, etc.)
>>
>> Interesting.
>
> Really?
>
> But I do think so. Why? Two reasons:
>
> creating controls from a primitive element inevitably means that people
> will be forced to use things that aren't platform-familiar, which is
> *bad* *bad* *bad*. One would not dream of hand-coding system controls
> when creating an application, and to suggest that a web page or (horror
> of horrors) a 'web application' should do so is bizarre.

Let me see if I can summarize this issue.

  The issue is the need to set a symbolic value on a set of property instead
of just one property to achieve a "platform-familiar" user interface
element.

Is that correct?

> there are quite a few issues that don't seem to be satisfactorily
> resolved.
>
> See http://www.iarchitect.com/mshame.htm for more UI issues.

I agree that that site documents a lot of good UI issues, but I'm not sure
which in particular apply to the CSS3 UI draft.

> PS. I am not happy with the whole selection/focus situation, but am too
> lazy to think about it at present. Will probably consider at some future
> date.

I think we need more implementation experience to work out the remaining
problems.  I think the solution is getting better with each iteration
though.

Thanks,

Tantek

Continue as planned.                        http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ie/