RE: Link Destination Pseudo-classes

From: David Wagner <dwagner@kevric.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:11:51 -0500
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Simon St.Laurent wrote
> I'm really glad to see this discussion getting started, but I
> want to add another point of reference, the XLink work being
> done for XML.  The relationship between linking and styling
> seems to be something more avoided than discussed, and it
> certainly remains complex (and some days controversial.)

I suppose a more correct solution would be to use CSS html:rel
and xml:role attribute selectors, for authors to specify HTML
rel and XML role attributes for all the links intheir documents
(using a controlled vocabulary not yet determined), and for
user agents to deduce and supply the rel attribute when left
unspecified in HTML.

*[rel~="email"]:before, *[role~="email"]:before {
 content: url("envelope.png"); }

Regards -David