Re: Minor error in CSS2, section 14.2; 'background'

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 13:41:27 +0200
To: gordon <gordon@quartz.gly.fsu.edu>
CC: "'www-style'" <www-style@w3.org>

gordon wrote:
> Easy enough.
> A document with style added to the html element:
> http://gly.fsu.edu/~gordon/html.html
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://gly.fsu.edu/~gordon/html.html
> The same document with the style attribute removed:
> http://gly.fsu.edu/~gordon/html2.html
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://gly.fsu.edu/~gordon/html2.html
> [please note that these are very simple documents!]

But this is valid:

<?xml-stylesheet href="style-on-html.css"?>
<title>html and style.</title>

Run this page through the W3C validator.
The results will show how to put style on the html element.

where style-on-html.css has

html { background-color:#806040 }

Now its valid, and we can discuss whether background should apply to
html or whether it only applies to its children, etc.