Re: Minor error in CSS2, section 14.2; 'background'

From: Ian Hickson <py8ieh@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 20:29:08 +0100 (BST)
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu>
cc: www-style@w3.org
On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, L. David Baron wrote:

> I think, BTW, that a further addition to the errata for
> background-position is needed so that it behaves correctly.
> Percentages for 'background-position' on the root element should be
> relative to the canvas, not the element's box, since the background
> covers the entire canvas [2]. (I assume that the canvas is scrolled
> in a typical browser, rather than containing scrollbars.)

If you did that, though, it would cause problems with the HTML
element's borders.

For example:

HTML {
   margin: 50px; padding: 50px; border: 20px solid lime;
   background: green url(nice-header.png) top center no-repeat;
   color: yellow;
}

...where nice-header.png is 100px tall.

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/colors.html#q2

--
Ian Hickson
: Is your JavaScript ready for Nav5 and IE5?