RE: Official statement from Microsoft concerning CSS, XSL and US Pate nt No. 5,860,073

From: Rasmus Kaj <rasmus@kaj.a.se>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 08:08:17 -0500 (EST)
To: benjaminh@epic.co.uk
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Cc: rasmus@kaj.a.se

 >> > obtain a license under Microsoft's US Patent No. 5,860,073 to implement
 >> > and use the technology described in W3C Recommendations for Cascading

 BH> I'm moderately confused by this. Does the phrase, "implement and
 BH> use the technology", mean something simple as knocking up a web
 BH> page that uses style sheets, or does it only matter if you write
 BH> applications that can read/write/interpret them?

It doesn't matter what the phrase means, the claims are bogus, you
don't need a license. Period.

// Rasmus

PS. This is getting off-topic; if you feel you must answer this,
please do it to my mailbox rather than to the list!
DS.

--
Rasmus Kaj ---------------- rasmus@kaj.a.se - http://www.e.kth.se/~kaj/
 \                                                      E Pluribus Unix