Re: Official statement from Microsoft concerning CSS, XSL and US Pate nt No. 5,860,073

From: Rasmus Kaj <rasmus@kaj.a.se>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 16:19:58 -0500 (EST)
To: cwilso@MICROSOFT.com
Cc: www-style@w3.org, standards@mercury.projectcool.com
Cc: rasmus@kaj.a.se

 CW> There has been much discussion of this issue on both of these
 CW> lists, so I thought it might be appropriate to forward this
 CW> statement to these lists as well.

 >> "Microsoft agrees that any W3C member or other party will be able
 >> to obtain a license under Microsoft's US Patent No. 5,860,073 to
 >> implement and use the technology described in W3C Recommendations
 >> for Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) and the EXtensible Style Language
 >> (XSL) for the purpose of supporting such standards, on a
 >> royalty-free basis. One condition of this license shall be the
 >> party's agreement to not assert patent rights against Microsoft
 >> and other companies for their implementation of those
 >> standards. Microsoft expressly reserves all other rights it may
 >> have in the material and subject matter of this contribution."
 >> -Chris Wilson Internet Explorer Team Microsoft Corporation

Pardon the language, but this is just plain bullshit. There exists a
huge amount of prior art, so that patent is just not worth the paper
it is written on.

Anyone asking Microsoft for a licence such as mentioned will only help
Microsoft maintain the illusion that the patent is valid.

--
Rasmus Kaj ---------------- rasmus@kaj.a.se - http://www.e.kth.se/~kaj/
 \                                   If you're happy, you're successful