Re: New Working Draft : BECSS

From: Bert Bos <Bert.Bos@sophia.inria.fr>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 00:01:55 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Sue Sims <sue@css.nu>
cc: www-style@w3.org
On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, Sue Sims wrote:

> The W3C CSS lint reports (on an embedded declaration):
>
> Parse error - Unrecognized : // Stolen from CSS2 Recommendation
> DIV.propdef TH { text-align: right; }
>
> In reviewing both the text (1) of CSS2 and the grammar (2), I don't find
> that the above comment syntax (//) is defined.
>
> Minimally, I expect that W3C documents, even in draft stage, should
> comply with their published recommendations; maximally, validating with
> no errors *and* linted with no warnings would be inspiring.
>
> (1) http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/syndata.html#comments
> (2) http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/grammar.html#q1

You're absolutely right. We do run validators and link checkers on our
drafts. I guess this one slipped through. Our excuses.

The two slashes have been proposed for several things, such as for a
connector inside selectors and also for comments (C++ programmers are
quite attached to it.). It was rejected for use as a comment, because it
is not compatible with the forward compatible grammar: CSS1 parsers will
skip a different part of the stylesheet than would parsers that know it as
a comment.

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA