Re: List styles - a wish list item

I was just going through old list mail to update my www-style past
suggestions list [1], when I came across the "List styles - a wish list
item" thread.

Here is an extract for those of you who do not keep archived copies and
don't want to go to the w3.org archives.

Daniel Glazman wrote:
>Then we could have for 1st and 2nd level lists with decimal numbering
>for 1st level and lower-case alpha for 2nd something like :
>  OL { counter-reset(item) }
>  OL > LI:before { counter(item) ". " ;
>                   counter-increment: item }
>  OL > LI > OL > LI:before { content: counter(item, 1, arabic) "."
>    counter(item, 0, lower-alpha) ". " ; counter-increment: item }
>
>The example above is a bad example because it breaks the existing order of
>arguments of the counter functional notation. But this 'way' of doing
>nested numberings is surely another simple and low-cost solution.

It struck me that we can already do this.

OL { counter-reset(item1) }
OL > LI:before { counter(item1) ". " ; counter-increment: item1 }
OL > LI > OL { counter-reset(item2) }
OL > LI > OL > LI:before {
  counter(item1, arabic) ". " counter(item2, lower-alpha) ". ";
  counter-increment: item2 }

There is thus no need to extend the counter function.

[1]: The "www-style past suggestions list", for those who missed my initial
announcement, is a list of all the suggestions given on this list which have
not yet made their way into the specs.
It is available at
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~exxieh/internet/#wwwstyle
There are currently around eight ideas on the list.

--
Ian Hickson - visit web page for geek code
PGP Fingerprint: