Background colors

From: Eric A. Meyer <emeyer@sr71.lit.cwru.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 17:46:06 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
   I thought I'd toss this one at the list and see what came back.  Note
that the Big Two browsers disagree concerning the answer to the following
question.  I can understand the rationale behind both answers.  Thus I
bring it before you.
   Say I have the following markup, assuming no other styles in the document:

     <BODY style="background-color: silver;">
     <P style="background-color: red;">
     This paragraph has a
     <SPAN style="background-color: transparent;">red</SPAN> background.
     </P>
     </BODY>

   What is the background color of the word "red?"

--
Eric A. Meyer  -  eam3@po.cwru.edu  -  http://www.cwru.edu/home/eam3.html
  Editor, WebReview's Style Sheets Reference Guide