Re: W3C Core Styles

From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 13:00:52 +0100 (MET)
To: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Todd Fahrner writes:

 > " FWIW, ADDRESS is a block element in the HTML 4.0 DTD.  In HTML 3.2, it is
 > " "body.content" along with %heading, %text, and %block.  Since HTML 3.2
 > " allows P elements within ADDRESS, I think we could call it a block element.
 >
 > Yikes! I made this "discovery" when HTML 4.0 was in draft. Possibly an
 > earlier draft had ADDRESS as inline? Thanks for setting it straight. I
 > think the point I was making stands even without this bit of
 > misinformation, though - or do you think otherwise?

No, your point still stands. An element which is %block in HTML4 can
perfectly well have 'display: inline' in CSS. HTML defines what
elements can be inside each other, CSS determines how they are
presented.

Regards,

-h&kon

H      k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org      http://www.w3.org/people/howcome
World     W      i     d     e       Web  Consortium