Re: W3C Core Styles

From: Gayle Kidder <reddik@thegroup.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 17:06:39 -0800
To: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
Thanks for the explanation, Todd. That clarifies things a bit on this
project. It's actually the 'width: auto;' and 'clear: none;' with the
inline elements in the following declaration that seems to cause most of
the problems that I think Netscape users are seeing (thanks to Gordon
for helping point that out).

A, ACRONYM, ADDRESS, BDO, BLOCKQUOTE, BUTTON, CITE, CODE, DD,
DEL, DFN,
DIV, DL, DT, EM, FIELDSET, FORM, H1, H2, H3, H4, H5, H6, IFRAME, IMG,
INS,
KBD,
LABEL, LI, OBJECT, OL, P, Q, SAMP, SMALL, SPAN, STRONG, SUB, SUP, UL,
VAR,
APPLET, B, BIG, CENTER, DIR, FONT, HR, I, MENU, PRE, S, STRIKE, TT,
U	{
	width: auto;
	margin-left: 0;
	margin-right: 0;
	padding-left: 0;
	padding-right: 0;
	border-left: 0;
	border-right: 0;
	float: none;
	clear: none;
	list-style-position: outside;
	}

There's still some line-height and width problems on some elements but
eliminating those 2 culprits gets rid of the overwriting.

Gayle Kidder