Re: W3C Core Styles

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 20:31:31 -0800
To: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Liam Quinn wrote (7:24 PM -0500 2/16/98):
" At 12:28 PM 16/02/98 -0800, Todd Fahrner wrote:
" >Consider the element ADDRESS. In the DTD, this is an inline element, but it
" >typically renders as a block, which realization caused me some stress.
"
" FWIW, ADDRESS is a block element in the HTML 4.0 DTD.  In HTML 3.2, it is
" "body.content" along with %heading, %text, and %block.  Since HTML 3.2
" allows P elements within ADDRESS, I think we could call it a block element.

Yikes! I made this "discovery" when HTML 4.0 was in draft. Possibly an
earlier draft had ADDRESS as inline? Thanks for setting it straight. I
think the point I was making stands even without this bit of
misinformation, though - or do you think otherwise? Could CSS, as
recommended, really permit the extensive abstraction of HTML render tree
from parse tree I asserted? I'm still a little insecure of this point,
lacking a testbed to investigate.

Todd Fahrner
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com
http://www.verso.com/agitprop/

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the
infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.
	- El Lissitzky, 1923