Re: Comments URI Proposal

From: Susan Lesch <lesch@macvirus.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 23:06:22 -0500 (EST)
To: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>, www-style@w3.org
> I now understand that you meant working hypertext links. It
> doesn't seem like too much trouble to me, however, to copy and
> paste. OTOH, I don't think it would be out of line if an
> implementor were to choose to render such URIs "hot," just as
> some UAs will color-code source when viewed. (I have often
> wanted to be able to "surf source" this way when
> troubleshooting!) I don't see the need for such behavior to be
> either encouraged or discouraged in the specification.

Woops no, thanks, I meant plain text. The hyperlink question was
someone else's, to which I replied. I only suggested that CSS be
kept lean, and that there may be a way to identify an external
'comment' file by URI, for unused rules and comments; a separate
file can also hold attributions, credits, or notations for CSS.

I liked your more formal colophon idea. It may as you say belong
in HTML where the information can travel with the document, and
thus not be turned off as CSS might be. I don't see room for it
readily in ADDRESS, or in LINK REV=made, but maybe in META, for
example, NAME="colophon".

Susan Lesch