Re: Page Breaks

From: Eric A. Meyer <emeyer@sr71.lit.cwru.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 13:36:23 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
>I am working in an all Netscape shop and have developed a report using
>HTML.  The users love the report - but want it to print out better than it
>currently does.  I need to be able to insert a page break.
>
>I have read the following specification:
> http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-print-970626
>
>This specification states that Cascading Style Sheets support a page break
>when printing.  I have been told that Netscape 4.0 supports Cascading Style
>Sheets but... when I tried to implement the page break, as described in the
>specification, it did not work.
>
>Is it possible to insert a page-break (for printing purposes) using any
>version of Netscape?  Do you have any suggestions/help??

   Just so you know, page-breaking is now part of the CSS2 specification
(http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-CSS2/), is found in the section on paged media,
and may well have changed somewhat from it original conception.  So far as
I am aware-- although I have not done rigorous testing of this, so
counter-examples are not only possible, but welcome-- page-breaking is not
supported in any major Web browser.

--
Eric A. Meyer  -  eam3@po.cwru.edu  -  http://www.cwru.edu/home/eam3.html
  Editor, WebReview's Style Sheets Reference Guide