RE: CSS-positioned OBJECT vs. frames -- Resizability

From: John T. Whelan <whelan@physics.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 22:00:52 -0600
To: www-style@w3.org
Garth Wallace:
>> A while back there was a discussion about frames being replaced by
>> <OBJECT type="text/html"> and CSS absolute positioning. I recently
>> realized a problem--how would you create the equivalent of resizable
>> frames with such an arrangement?

Braden McDaniel:
>What's more, how would you target them?

	That one seems easy.  OBJECT already supports a NAME attribute
(although ID would probably be more appropriate).  TARGET="_top"
becomes the browser window itself, TARGET="_parent" the document
containing the OBJECT in which the link appears, etc.  That wouldn't
even require a change to the HTML 4.0 Transitional DTD, just a change
in interpretation.

>(parallelling a discussion on www-html)

	At the risk of too much of that discussion seeping over here,
it seems like a whole lot of work would need to be done on CSS
implementation, and a bit on CSS itself, before FRAME could be
replaced by OBJECT.  The targeting questions should have been long
dealt with by the time that became a reality, namely in the process of
making OBJECT a complete substitute for IFRAME.  (Which shouldn't
require stylesheets.)
					John T. Whelan
					whelan@iname.com
					http://www.slack.net/~whelan/