Re: Comments for CSS1 Test Suite

From: Susan Lesch <lesch@macvirus.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 16:30:10 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-style@w3.org, "Eric A. Meyer" <eam3@po.cwru.edu>
> >Make the whole suite HTML 4.0 strict with DOCTYPEs.
> :-)
>
>    There's a bit of debate over this one, actually.  I have at least
> one request to purposely leave out </P> tags in order to force tests
> of HTML parsing.  I'm still turning that one over in my head-- is
> this appropriate for a CSS test?  I can see reasons for and against,
> and haven't yet made up my mind.

Optional end tags like </P> and </LI> have no effect on whether the suite
is valid HTML. They are good practice, do affect and improve CSS rendering
in some user agents, and incidentally, are a start toward well-formed XML.
Because many existing HTML documents don't have them, I understand why
there could be debate. The suggestion here is only to set a good example by
making the suite valid strict HTML 4.0. This is a separate question from
matched end tags.

Susan Lesch