Re: Comments for CSS1 Test Suite

From: Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor <roconnor@wronski.math.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 23:02:33 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-style@w3.org
>    There's a bit of debate over this one, actually.  I have at least
> one request to purposely leave out </P> tags in order to force tests
> of HTML parsing.  I'm still turning that one over in my head-- is
> this appropriate for a CSS test?  I can see reasons for and against,
> and haven't yet made up my mind.

Since CSS is basically the first thing that actually requires the browser
to parse HTML into some sort of element tree, I think the test suite
should ensure that browers are implying end-tags and implying them at the
correct spots.

For instance in
<P>Paragraph 1.

<P>Paragraph 2.

There is one character of whitespace after the period in the first
paragraph.  If the style of paragraphs is underlined, this last space
should be underlined too.

"And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message"
-- Anindita Dutta, "The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy"