Re: WD-positioning-19970819

On Oct 14,  2:59pm, Ralph Risch wrote:

> I observe that CSS positioning of HTML elements could be used in the place
> of frames

Yes, to an extent, with the proviso that all the content is in a single
document.

> if an element could be "named"

It can, either by using <a name="whatever"> </a> or by using the HTML 4.0 ID
attribute on any element

> and an HREF from another element
> could reference that name.

Yes. That has been in HTML since the beginning.

> This would allow the arbitrary positioning of
> "frame" boxes that reference other boxes (e.g., a table of contents).

Yes. The advantage being that downlevel browsers still get to see the
table of contents, but positioned in the main flow of the document.

> Will this be possible?

It already is. Try it. This sort of CSS:

DIV.sidebar {
  background:#99E;
  position: absolute;
  left: 10px; top: 10px;