Re: CSS1 and tables

On Oct 6,  6:21pm, Chris Wilson (PSD) wrote:

> Ah, an interesting solution - one I discarded while planning in IE3
> because of the legacy of:
>
>  <FORM STYLE="font-weight: bold">This is bold.
>  <INPUT ID=a>
>  <TABLE><TR><TD>
>  <INPUT ID=b>This is not bold.
>  </TD></TR>
>  </TABLE>
>  This is bold again.
>  <INPUT ID=c>
>  </FORM>
>
> Namely, you can't assume you can always break an element into two or
> more elements without damaging its functionality.

Of course. If the element is block level, you don't need to split it.
I just checked:

<!doctype html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN">

 <FORM STYLE="font-weight: bold">This is bold.
 <INPUT ID=a>
 <TABLE><TR><TD>
 <INPUT ID=b>This is not bold.
 </TD></TR>
 </TABLE>
 This is bold again.
 <INPUT ID=c>
 </FORM>

is valid. What's the problem? If the input id=b is not bold, that just
means that the (conceptual) browser default stylesheet, that mythical
beast which can be invoked to explain all ills, explicitly sets

table { font-weight: normal }

I see no peculiar or non-standard inheritance and no error recovery
or document tree rearrangement in this example; everything works as
expected without need to invoke "original design principles" or whatnot.