"em" should be horizontal, "ex" vertical

From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 23:29:42 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Lee,

 > While that's a good definition, typesetting practice /never/ uses "em"
 > as vertical measurement; an em is a horizontal measurement only, and an
 > "ex" is the vertical measurement.  This makes measurements based on
 > fonts size work with compressed an/or fat fonts.

Ok. So, would you argue for not allowing "em" to be used in any
vertical measurement? E.g., to set a uniform border width that scales
with the font size, 'em' is very useful:

  P { border: thick red 1em }

I have much respect for typographical tradition, but it is seldom
consistent and always changing (the term 'em' is a good example of
that). I think 'em' is too useful to be limited to horizontal
measurements only and this is reflected in the CSS1 specification..

-h&kon

H      k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org   W o r l d   Wide  W e b  Consortium
inria # FRANCE http://www.w3.org/people/howcome