"em" should be horizontal, "ex" vertical

From: Lee Daniel Crocker <lcrocker@calweb.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 14:14:48 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-style@w3.org, www-html@w3.org
>  > > The default size, the 100% size, and the 1em size should be the same,
>  > > but they are not.
>  >
>  > Why is this true?  An em-space isn't necessarily the same as the font
>  > height.
>
> In CSS1 it is. This is arguably underspecified, but section 6.1 reads:
>
>   "ems, the height of the element's font"
>
> This usage of the term "em" is supported by [1] which reads:
>
>   Em: In current usage, a unit of measurement that equals the point
>   size of the type.
>
> [1] Glossary of typesetting terms, University of Chicago Press, 1994

While that's a good definition, typesetting practice /never/ uses "em"
as vertical measurement; an em is a horizontal measurement only, and an
"ex" is the vertical measurement.  This makes measurements based on
fonts size work with compressed an/or fat fonts.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lcrocker.html>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,