Objects outside the expected viewport?

From: Neil St.Laurent <neil@bigpic.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 15:50:50 -0600
To: www-style@w3.org
If a CSS ends up rendering an object in a quadrant not expected to be
displayed, am I obligated to honor it being hidden, or can I make it
viewable?

Given that the typical screen represents an infinite SE quadrant
where the scroll bars pervent you from leaving that viewing area, and
a CSS object ends up being inside the NW, NE, or SW quadrant, what is
a conforming UA supposed to do?

I'm leaning towards the user being able to scroll into that area
without any problems...
__