Objects outside the expected viewport?

From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 13:56:39 +0100 (MET)
To: neil@bigpic.com
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Neil St.Laurent writes:

 > If a CSS ends up rendering an object in a quadrant not expected to be
 > displayed, am I obligated to honor it being hidden, or can I make it
 > viewable?

You can do as you like. The CSS2 WD has some text on this in the
chapter on Paged media:

  User agents may handle elements positioned outside the page box in
  several ways, including discarding them or printing them at the end of
  the document.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-CSS2/page.html#h-12.3.7

It's probably a good idea to make this text apply to all media types,
not only the paged ones.

Regards,

-h&kon

H      k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org      http://www.w3.org/people/howcome
World     W      i     d     e       Web  Consortium