RE: Support for HSL colour specification

From: Braden N. McDaniel <braden@shadow.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 08:09:10 -0500
To: "'Steven Pemberton'" <Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl>, <neil@bigpic.com>
Cc: "'Christian Pantel'" <cpantel@ca.ibm.com>, <www-style@w3.org>

Isn't that, then, the gap authoring tools should fill in?

Most important in CSS is the *function* of the standard for providing a means of consistent layout--that is, it is first a machine-readable format. That it is human-readable as well is certainly an added convenience. But since--as far as I can tell--HSL will add no new function to the appearance CSS is capable of describing, I think there are more important pursuits in finalizing the specification.

The fine points of a user interface to the specification are exactly what authoring tools are designed (or, at least, *should be* designed) to provide.

Braden