Re: Support for HSL colour specification

From: Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@dol.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 17:37:40 -0600
To: www-style@w3.org
Chris Lilley wrote:
>I'm all for usability - that's why I think HSL falsely raises user
>expectations and performs poorly in usability testing compared to visual
>selection.

All of these models are attempts to represent a limited range of the dynamic color spectrum. None of them are based on human visual characteristics.

There's also HSB which substitutes for Lightness, 'Brightness', perhaps a more 'visual' quality. (etc)

RGB is a direct representation of the strength of the three values used to create a color on the typical color display, but it's not 'visual selection' !

Still, why should _not_ a general specification such as CSS include a range of widely used and recognized color models???

What do you mean by "falsely raising user expectations," Chris? This is sort of a non-statement, since you have no idea who "user" is...

Can you provide a reference/URL to the study you mention?

Cheers!

Peter

Peter Fraterdeus, designOnline, Inc.
                  dezineCafe / http://www.dol.com