Re: CSS vs. transitional markup [was: No Subject]

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 12:55:04 -0700
To: <www-style@w3.org>, "Todd Fahrner" <fahrner@pobox.com>
Todd Fahrner wrote:
> This has been discussed. I think the conclusion was that this is
clearly
> nonstandard in IE, and that it really should be fixed before release.

Does IE honor stylesheet attributes for FONT over inline ones? FONT is
an element like any other. When its inline style attributes are not
overridden by a CSS declaration, shouldn't those attributes override
the parent?

Seems to me authors wanting to use FONT should also declare stylistic
attributes for FONT in the stylesheet. Those stylesheet attributes
should then override the inline declarations. Giving some special
significance to the FONT and BASEFONT elements is unnecessary.

I tried this in IE3.02, and it worked as expected. CSS1 declaration
trumped the inline declaration.

David Perrell