Re: The concept of cascading

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 13:12:17 -0400 (EDT)
To: davidp@earthlink.net (David Perrell)
Cc: www-style@w3.org
> Seems simpler to manage and no less controllable than parameter-passing
> to activate a program stub.

How so? This is what I mean by a stub:

(define departmental-logo "http://foo.bar.com/department/graphic.gif")
(define departmental-background (color rgb 0 0 0))

(define departmental-table-of-contents-style
    ; some hairy code to generate the world's most beautiful TOC
)

(declare-initial-value "Helvetica")

<stylesheet use="base-company-spec.dsl">

I don't see that as being difficult to manage, and I do see it as being
highly controllable because the set of things that can be defined are
declared in advance. I'll admit, however, if you want unconstrained
changes with no need for forethought on the part of the people creating
the base stylesheet, then CSS is better. But then you can run into the
problem of: "can we add a red underline to our stylesheet? I dunno
if anyone has changed their background to red, or perhaps changed the
link colour to red."

For small companies that is probably not a problem and the CSS mechanism
would be simpler than the DSSSL mechanism.

 Paul Prescod