Re: CSS and system colors

From: Chris Josephs <cpj1@visi.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 07:39:20 -0500 (CDT)
To: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>
cc: "Galarneau, Neil" <ngalarneau@concord6.powersoft.com>, "'www-style'" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Hakon Lie wrote:
> This is a good idea. It should probably be doine through reserved
> names, perhaps 'system-color' and system-background' ? The latter name
> would be open for system backgrounds that are more than just a color.

What about the idea of being able to "retrieve" a value.  Dare I say use
something along the lines of a function with a return value.  (I know, I
know, CSS will not become a programming language).

Maybe something like @default("body {color}")

You could then set body {color:@default("body {color}");}

The syntax looks a little ugly I'll admit.  But you could also use it to
get info on the point size of a font, decoration mode, etc, etc.

The bad thing is something like this could eventually lead to if/then
blocks.

The good thing is that it could explicitly say "don't mess with the
default values for this tag".

--- Christopher Josephes -------------------------
mailto:cpj1@visi.com               Vector Internet
http://www.visi.com/~cpj1