Re: IDs vs. Classes

Neil Galarneau writes:
 [...]
 > Also, the spec explicitly states that a simple selector can have only
 > 1 class (in section 1.4), but I could find no such limit on the number of
 > IDs per simple selector.
 >
 > Is that a purposeful omission (and simple selectors can have multiple
 > IDs) or does the same limit apply to IDs (only 1 per simple selector)?

A `simple selector' is only part of a selector. It is perfectly OK to
write a selector with three simple selectors:

    DIV.abstract P.first EM.company {font-style: italic}

But the following is not:

*   DIV.abstract.keys {font-style: italic}

I agree that the text in 1.4 should be clearer.

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/People/Bos/                      INRIA/W3C
  +33 93 65 77 71                 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France