CSS and system colors

From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 11:30:13 +0200 (MET DST)
To: "Galarneau, Neil" <ngalarneau@concord6.powersoft.com>
Cc: "'www-style'" <www-style@w3.org>
Neil Galarneau writes:

 > On MS-Windows, and probably on other UIs, there are system colors
 > such as the default background color of a window (COLOR_WINDOW)
 > and the default foreground color of text (COLOR_WINDOWTEXT) (and
 > many more).
 >
 > In the current version of CSS, the only way I can see to cause those
 > colors to come up on everyone's machines is to not define any colors
 > in a complete branch of the html tree right up to the HTML root
 > AND hope that the UA's default colors match those of the system.
 > Then that branch will use those system colors.
 >
 > Should there be a more explicit way to get to those colors?

This is a good idea. It should probably be doine through reserved
names, perhaps 'system-color' and system-background' ? The latter name
would be open for system backgrounds that are more than just a color.

I'll put it on the list of good ideas for the next round.

Regards,

-h&kon

H      k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org   W o r l d   Wide  W e b  Consortium
inria # FRANCE http://www.w3.org/people/howcome