Re: Tabs in CSS1

From: Stu Harris <sirrah@baluga.maximumaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 08:55:49 -0800 (PST)
To: stefan@olsonsoft.co.nz (Stefan Olson)
Cc: www-style@w3.org
> I would like to see support for tabs added into the CSS
> spec, perhaps in a form like this within a style declration
> tabs {1.5in,2.2in,5in}

I too would like to see CSS tabs, but PLEASE NOT defined in inches!!!
Which inches would you have in mind? The inches on my monitor, which are
not the same as yours? The inches on my hard copy, which depend on my own
choice of font size? Or the inches on some "natural" scale of measurement
(72 pixels/in, in the world of Walter Ian Kaye)?

Please no. Pixel measurements are the only reasonable way of thinking
about relationships on a Web page. Quite apart from the fact that the
vast majority of the world measures things in centimetres.

Cheers,
Stu Harris
BEACH MEDIA, SAN DIEGO