Re: Tabs in CSS1

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Stu Harris wrote:

> > I would like to see support for tabs added into the CSS
> > spec, perhaps in a form like this within a style declration
> > tabs {1.5in,2.2in,5in}
>
> I too would like to see CSS tabs, but PLEASE NOT defined in inches!!!
> Which inches would you have in mind? The inches on my monitor, which are
> not the same as yours? The inches on my hard copy, which depend on my own
> choice of font size? Or the inches on some "natural" scale of measurement
> (72 pixels/in, in the world of Walter Ian Kaye)?
>
> Please no. Pixel measurements are the only reasonable way of thinking
> about relationships on a Web page. Quite apart from the fact that the
> vast majority of the world measures things in centimetres.

Why not allow several different units, like "points", "ens", "ems",
"inches", "cm", etc. Points seem most logical to me, since they are
independant of the output medium. Pixels are not, and should be deprecated
or disallowed entirely.

After all, I'd hate for my tabs to look great on a 72-dpi monitor, but
collapse into space-sized offsets on a 300-dpi printer.

Remember, the goal is interoperability, *not* ease of use.